Chicken Soup Recipe: for more than just your Soul, for your Heart as
Chicken Soup is rated
based on 30 votes.
We all know that chicken soup is one of the most traditional and popular
soups among soups. This is the type or recipe mother’s love to use when
that nasty cold or flu emerges, and it seems nothing else will help for
that sore throat or stuffed nose.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, breasts removed
- 2 onions
- 2l boiling water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lg. carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ c. fresh parsley leaves
- salt and ground pepper (to taste)
- Dice onions
- Peel carrot and cut into ¼ in. pieces.
- Cut celery into ½ in. pieces.
- Mince Parsley leaves.
- Cut breasts from chicken and set aside
- Cut remaining chicken into small pieces, and set aside.
- Heat oil in large soup pot, or large sauce pan. Once oil is heated place
chicken breasts in the pot, and sauté until light brown, roughly 5
minutes. Remove chicken, and set aside.
- Add half of the diced onions into the pot and sauté until onions
appear to be clear, 4-5 minutes. Take onions from pot and set aside.
The remaining part of the chicken needs to be cut into small pieces, and
cooked for 8-10 minutes, or until the pinkness had subsided.
- Place onions back into the pot, cover and cook on low heat for 20
- Add boiling water, chicken breasts, 2tsp. salt and bay leaves. Stir,
and cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked all
the way through.
- Carefully remove chicken breasts from broth, and set aside.
Skim the fat from the broth, and set aside
- Be sure to reserve 2TBSP of fat for the veggies.
- Sauté reserved fat with remaining onions, celery, and carrots, sauté
for 5 minutes.
- Remove bones and skin from chicken breasts
- Shred chicken and add to the pot.
- Add thyme and remaining broth
- Simmer until veggies are tender
- Use salt and pepper to season
- Garnish with parsley
**Another tasty variation that would make this soup even more dazzling
would be to add noodles or pasta shells. Simply place simmer them with
the veggies, and cook until tender. **